Monday, January 24, 2011

Study break!

I'm in the middle of studying and thought I would take a litle break! There's not really that much to update on excecpt I had this awesome reptile necropsy lab yesterday! It was voluntary and with the non-traditional species club. A former student who now works in Chicago brought down all sorts of different snake, lizards, turtles etc.. It's actually kind of sad where he got them from:( He said a pet shop has received this order of like 180 reptiles and the owner left them in the boxes they were shipped in for 2 weeks! One of the employees smelled them and called the authorities. Only 1 out of all those reptiles survived:( ...Anyways, I got to dissect a bullsnake, some kind of turtle & a baby alligator!!! It was sooo cute (even though it was dead). I have a picture with it on my friends phone and will post it whenever she sends it to me! It was one of the sickest but coolest things I have done. They definitely did not smell very good but I learned a lot. And when we opened up our baby alligator's stomach there was an entire big rat!!! Cool right?!
Oh, another interesting thing I got to do was dissect hearts in anatomy lab today. They were real fresh hearts! I'm pretty sure the animals died from something naturally because one of our hearts had heartworms in it!! (ok that was kind of disgusting). It was cool though to hold a little heart in your hand and dissect it and see how complicated everything in it is!
Ok well I think that's my last interesting story for now..back to studying!

2 comments:

  1. This is great, Kiira! I don't do facebook, or anything like that (by choice) - but I'm going to follow your blog...:)....I'm thrilled that you are finding vet school fascinating - hard study is always acceptable when you're learning exciting things - even at the price of 180 reptile lives (how sad! - I hope he's never allowed another shipment!) I will continue to keep you in my prayers for all that you need for life and health and happiness and holiness :) Love you! Aunt Kaylene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Kiira. As you can see, I forwarded your blog to Kaylene. I figured if she signed on as a follower, then I could figure it out, too, and I did. Ha. I assume that you will let all the other relatives, esp. Shane, Kayley and Sabrina, know through Facebook about the blog so they can get in on the interesting details of your vet studies. The blog should be especially helpful to Kayley in deciding whether she wants to follow the same course of study. Have a great day. Love you. Mom

    ReplyDelete